Saturday, September 02, 2006

Barcelona!

Following a month's training in Colorado, I wasn't going to let Matt go off to a conference in Barcelona alone, so I booked a flight and tagged along.
While Matt was in conference rooms for 10-12 hours a day, I was a lady of leisure exploring Barcelona. I went on the 'Bus Turisitic', the tourist bus just like the one in Sydney that picks you up and drops you off as many times as you like for a whole day. To start the morning, I sat in a local little café to plan my day with only a map and my Spanish phrase book.
I visited the Sarria Familia; the only Cathedral in the world still under construction. It was magnificent, (see the photos). Men worked on the building as tourists travelled in droves to see Gaudi's architecture; unfortunately he died in an accident never to see its completion. I knew of Gaudi's architectural ventures in Spain, but didn't realise the impact he had on the culture through his architecture and design...phenomenal!
I travelled the nord (north) and sud (south) routes on the bus seeing beautiful architecture, museums, the port and of course, such beautiful history of the city.
Being a tourist bus, it would naturally drop us off at places that required more money for entrance to the feature. :( It wasn't until I got off at a random spot and went for my own little stroll did I see the local charm and beauty of Barcelona. I just fell in love with the terrace buildings with matching balcony's and plants on the window sills while the summer curtains swayed in the breeze.
I met Matthew in town later that night to meet some guys from work for tapas and cocktails.
[Side note: the credit on my phone ran out before we could arrange a meeting place - and it takes credit to receive calls abroad... Matthew had no idea where I'd be and I couldn't make or accept any calls at all... A couple of hours later I was watching a street mime when I shifted my gaze and saw Matthew standing there watching me! He had just happened to look up a minute ago and seen me across the road... Understandably, he had to look twice to check it was me. Praise God for that.... crazy.]

Some other cool and querky experiences in Barcelona:
* An exhibition on Marilyn Monroe at the Cultural Centre
* The best chocolate gelato I have EVER tasted!
* Watching Amercian sitcoms dubbed in Spanish
* Seeing a Starbucks on every corner!
* Getting to the toilet only by hand gestures because my Spanish pronunciation was so bad!

I am now at the airport at the Iberia lounge rounding out a very stressful week with a bourbon & coke; Matt left an hour or so ago with some of the UK team. My flight is in about two hours.
I think I could get used to business trips!
:)

No comments: