Thursday, January 15, 2009

Front Light

I've been working in Oxford this last week so snuck my bike down in the back of the car just to burn some stress.
So tonight, I *may* have been burning up through the centre of town, riding a little too fast - as I was running late for dinner with our good friend Frances Voon :) so - naturally – I took the short-cut (the wrong way) up a pedestrianised section of the high-street, riding one-handed (was on the phone with Jo and didn't have a hands-free), rear-light was on fine (did that with the hand that wasn't holding the phone) and (mum, don't read this next bit) helmet on, but not done up (two-handed job) when a police office yelled, “hey!'”..

I'll spare you (and, indirectly, me) some of the broader context about joint exposure of Driver's Licenses and bike riding, but suffice to say, I said quickly and quietly to Jo, "I'll call you right back".

The good natured officer asked me if I had a front light on my bike; "Of course, Mr Officer, I thought I had turned it on...oh… that's better..."
"Thank you laddie” he said, “Have a good night"
" ... arh, thank you, you too" peddle-peddle-peddle.... "Jo, sorry I had to hang up before..."

No comments: