Thursday, April 20, 2006

Punching the Gap

On my ride in to work this morning I was coming down through lower Haymarket (sounds all too much like Sydney) I was accelerating away from stand-still - still riding slowly as I was hemmed in by double-decker buses on three sides - when a motorcycle courier came down the right-hand side of the road (on the other half of the road) and swooped into my little gap with me. (For the Mums: I knew where I was going, so I just moved over and gave him some room. No problems ☺ ). We were coming up to a tight left-hand corner when he decided to 'bus hop' his way forward. As the buses started to bend around to the left a *small* gap opened up between the bus in front and the one on my left. Stepping on the gas, he punched the gap and ducked through even as the buses were straightening up and gap was closing. It was all over in about 3 seconds, and I'd say he made it by 2 inches. Those guys (and girls) are crazy.

For the record, I was fine. As the motorbike went left, I was left with all the space in the world to exit right and head down a mostly vacant street (up to another set of Red lights). And No; I didn't get a photo.

No comments: