Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Carnivale and Milan

Well, I said I would let you know how it went...sorry for the delay, my trip to Milan was at the end of my first week of work with "Theatre and..." and things have been well... busy.

I arrived in Milan on Friday night and made the 1.5 hour bus ride from Bergamo Airport to the city centre to meet Matt. My first impressions weren't great; it was dark, smelly, crowded, and way too many old Italian men staring at me, being the only blonde around.

Matt saved me from all this and whisked me off to meet up with some of his local work friends who were drinking at their little local bar. The bar was soo cool. We would never have found it without Lorenzo and Diego who guided us through the local liqeurs and coffees. My first impressions were slashed and... I think I want to be Italian when I grow up. Thanks guys.

Saturday was a blast too. Matt and I teamed up with two Colorado folk (who were at the conference as well), to explore Milan. It was the week after Fashion Week (fantastic for 'window' shopping) as well as being Carnivale. The streets were buzzing with people in costume, parades, and confetti. The Italians sure know how to party.

We saw the famous Duomo Cathedral which literally made me gasp as I walked up the stairs from the Metro. It was magnificent.

This is a very small section of one of the squares of one of the doors. You can see how some parts are tarnished were people touch Jesus for 'Good Luck'.

Saturday evening, we found a fantastic little independant restaurant where the service and food were amazing. With our funny accents, we were a bit of a laugh, so received lots of free food. We weren't complaining!
Did I mention the red wine? Wow! That's all I can say.

Oh, and next you visit, don't even think about asking for a capuccino after 10am!

'Espresso! Espresso! Only!'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi to you both

Let me know (by email) next time you are going to Milan. I have a cousin there married to an Italian (so she did grow up to be an Italian!) & speaks fluent Italian & Oz English. She'd know of lots else to do & see around town. Autumn is just starting here with cooler nights but still nice sunny days. Much love. Alicia