Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Second Day on the Job - John Paul II

Second day on the job, and it was probably the hardest in my teaching career so far. I went to a school called John Paul II down in Putney - about 90% black population. I was warned by the agency that it would be a challenge and 'did I want to take it..?" What did I have to lose? kids couldn't possibly be that bad.
Not so. I arrived at the school to see posters all over the billboards at school saying "The inspectors said we are making satisfactory progress". After inquiring about the signs I was informed that just this week inspectors from the Department of Teaching were visiting the school, to see how 'things were going' - and that the school was on virge of being shut down because of the monstrous behavioural issues. If the school had not made a 'satisfactory' change then the school would have been shut down.

Just last week there was a riot in one of the class rooms, two teachers were assaulted and a large percentage off on stress leave. Yesterday, the day I was there, a guy broke a girls arm with his bare hands, and in my classroom, amongst other things a student, in rage, grabbed a chair and pinned another student against the wall. The look in those children's eyes was unbelievable - is so much hate, so much anger and they were only in Year 10.

All day, it was impossible to even ask them to listen to you, let alone pay attention so I could teach them. The teacher may as well not be there - no matter what you say, how you say it or whether you say it to them individually, the students totally ignore the teachers. I felt like I was in the movie Dangerous Minds or Sister Act II when Whoopi Goldberg tries to teach the students music; only without the happy ending.

I prayed for these kids all day. The hardest thing about the day was that each child had so much hate, so much anger in them and for me/for teachers even before you walk through that door. They are really broken.
Yesterday I saw but a glimpse of the how God must react/long for his people who are broken and need Him but do not see Him. Those children need God's love, and if only they were willing, they'd have it already.

No comments: